Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat

Believe it or not, some Winter 2008 catalogs are already out, so I've updated the HNS forthcoming books page with new novels from Simon & Schuster and Penguin through next May. I also added St. Martin's Press titles through December. Note that Penguin will publish three historicals next January with the word "serpent" in the title - by Suzanne Arruda, Ariana Franklin, and Bernard du Boucheron. Are you tempted?

Useless historical fiction fact du jour: Winter Serpent is the title of two older historical novels, one from Maggie Davis (about the Vikings) and another by Aileen Armitage (about Rasputin).

Looking at my Librarything account, there are an awful lot of historical novels with "serpent" in the title. Now we'll have three more.

Moving along, a few days ago I posted the August issue of Historical Novels Review Online and the ToC for the print HNR's August issue, which should be leaving the printer any day now, if it hasn't already done so.

As of yesterday I'm done with my historical mystery chapter, aside from assigning keywords to the annotations and revising the intro. I'll probably work on historical thrillers next, but with 95-degree temps all this week, I'm finding it hard to get motivated. I'm also awaiting more review books in the mail. The new Lian Hearn, which I hope will be here tomorrow, has my name on it.

Meanwhile, an ARC of Ken Follett's World Without End showed up yesterday, all 960-odd pages of it. It weighs 3 1/4 lbs.

4 comments:

  1. I suppose a book with "Without End" in the title ought to be long...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't care what the Ariana Franklin book's title is...I'll be reading it regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I will be reading the Ariana Franklin book too as I liked the one before it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Mistress of the Art of Death and can't wait for the next one to come out.

    Good point, Carla!

    ReplyDelete