Monday, March 05, 2012

New review of Elliot Perlman's The Street Sweeper

My review of Elliot Perlman's The Street Sweeper, a 554-page epic spanning over a century of racial prejudice and its consequences, ran in today's Globe and Mail.  It's still early, but it's bound to make my list of favorites for 2012. 

If you decide to pick up the US edition instead, that one is 640 pages.  Either way, it more than qualifies for the Chunkster Challenge.  This makes four chunksters so far for me this year, and I'll be reviewing #5 later this week.

5 comments:

  1. Well done, Sarah, your review is excellent and being published in the Globe and Mail is nothing to sneeze at either. I want to read The Street Sweeper and your review makes me want to read it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex, I'll be interested to hear what you think if you read it. I was hesitant to pick it up at first due to the subject matter (it goes places that most Holocaust novels don't) but the result was well worth it. I had major trouble putting it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where on earth do you find enough time for job, reading and all the writing you do? The Street Sweeper sounds like a wonderful read. I have The Lost Wife on my TBR pile at the moment, if you've read them both, which would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder that myself sometimes - life has been very hectic lately! I haven't yet read The Lost Wife but have heard excellent things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful review! I'm glad you enjoyed The Street Sweeper.

    ReplyDelete