Saturday, September 12, 2015

Historical fiction cover trend: Scenes of the coastline

Inspired by the fact that I've recently read three of these novels and am currently reading a fourth.


Moreton Bay, Australia, in 1891 and a century later.


The rocky Corsican coast, from the 1920s through the 1980s.


Newport, Rhode Island, summer home of America's blue-blooded elite in the Gilded Age.


The ritzy resort city of Famagusta, Cyprus, in the 1970s (see review).


Wealthy expat life along the coast of Antibes in the Roaring '20s.


A mystery set along the French Riviera in the postwar period.


Sunny Portugal in the present day and during the WWII years. An April '16 release.


Romance and secrets at a Mediterranean seaside resort, from 1948 to today.


Gothic fiction set in a seaside resort in Kent in the 1850s.


Romance alongside the Ligurian Sea in the year 1962.


The beautiful French Riviera in the late 1930s.

8 comments:

  1. Another historical fiction trend, captured nicely in your first cover, is the female figure with most of her head missing. Often in an inaccurate costume, unless it's a close-up. YA SF/F has its equivalent, the girl in the prom gown, even if she spends the whole book in escaping from a dystopian society. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that one has double appeal, both the picturesque scene and the headless woman. And having just read the book, I don't know who the woman on the cover is supposed to be. I don't remember the heroine (a famous novelist) dressing like that. Seems to be the grown-up equivalent of the prom dress :)

      Delete
  2. All are great covers. I'm gonna have to add some of these to my reading list!

    presentsofthepast.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read the ones I haven't, then travel to all of those places. Except maybe Famagusta (I'll wait until it's restored to its former self).

      You have a great blog! I see I'm going to have fun exploring it. I love period dramas.

      Delete
  3. There's just something about a coastline that inspires me. It is probably the combination of the invitation to contemplation that a water view creates and the undercurrent (sorry ;) of travels to be taken and new lands to be seen. These covers do call to me, even without a sympathetic character to be seen. What a relief! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often prefer "landscape" (or in this case, seascape) covers to those with people front and center. Probably for similar reasons... it makes me contemplate traveling there myself, an enticing prospect. Plus they have a timelessness to them that images of people don't.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:49 PM

    I checked "At the Water's Edge" thinking it would have such a thing, but it has what appears to be another trend - a woman's full profile (similar to "The Book of Lost and Found")

    Sarah OL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had to double check At the Water's Edge to see if it fit... but it's only the title that does. Instead, it's the anti-headless trend (which sounds wrong, but...)

      Delete