Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Book review: The Fortune Hunter, by Daisy Goodwin

Goodwin’s second novel is a luxurious indulgence for romantically inclined readers. In 1875, Charlotte Baird, an intellectually minded heiress, becomes an unexpected third wheel when the man she hopes to marry, Captain Bay Middleton, is pressed into service for Empress Elizabeth of Austria’s visit to England.

A reputed ladies’ man, Bay genuinely likes Charlotte for herself and encourages her unfashionable interest in photography. However, as Bay guides the willful, lonely, and deeply private empress on her fox-hunting pursuits on the grounds of vast country estates, they bond over their talent and passion for horsemanship and develop an intense mutual attraction.

Mingling historical fact with imaginative fiction, Goodwin writes with effortless grace, and her dialogue’s subtle wit is delightful. Each of her three protagonists commands attention and sympathy, which heightens the story’s poignancy. Charlotte’s levelheaded personality remains unaffected by her wealth or her relatives’ dependence on it, and Bay is movingly torn between duty and his sense of self-worth. Finally, despite her outlandish regimen for maintaining her complexion and ankle-length chestnut tresses, Elizabeth is never less than beguiling.

The Fortune Hunter was published yesterday in hardcover by St. Martin's Press ($26.99, 480pp).  For more information, see the author's website or follow her on Facebook and Twitter.  This review first appeared in Booklist's May 15th issue. 

Some additional thoughts and comments:

- Readers may notice that some name spellings have been anglicized, such as that of Empress Elisabeth (with an "s"), popularly known as "Sisi," and her son, Rudolf.
- The author's note at the end indicates many of the instances where the story deviates from history; the timeline has been condensed, for instance, to maximize its dramatic potential.
- Bay Middleton is, yes, a distant relation of the Duchess of Cambridge.

10 comments:

  1. Good review. The Fortune Hunter sounds interesting. However, I think I'm going to wait for it to come out into paperback before I look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could also try the library - although there may be a wait for it initially.

      Delete
  2. Our book club read this...was not liked by any of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't care for it! Just found your review. It is cool you got the chance to read it early. Interestingly, Caspar is the character I found least realistic - he felt like a "sassy gay friend" stereotype, although he was entertaining.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:56 AM

    Daisy Goodwin was interviewed in Shelf Awareness a few days ago - I had to laugh b/c she said I have been fascinated by the Empress Elizabeth of Austria, or Sisi as she was known to her family, ever since I was a little girl. I was given a jigsaw puzzle of the famous Winterhalter portrait of the Empress wearing a spangled ball gown and diamond stars in her hair when I was recovering from an operation, and I remember spending hours trying to fit her together"

    As someone who was probably the only eight grader that decade drawing genealogical tables of the romanovs in biology class, I can confirm that it does start young!

    Sarah Other Librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it does! The family tree in the beginning of Anya Seton's Katherine was one thing that got me started in historical fiction.

      I should have thought of that - I took drafting in high school, and drawing genealogical tables would've been a good exercise. One of my rooms at home has poster-sized family trees of various royals on three of the walls!

      Delete
  4. I have heard mixed reviews about this book, but I heard the same about The American Heiress which I ultimately enjoyed. I have this one to read from Netgalley coming up. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American Heiress isn't one I've gotten to yet, but I have a copy. I've also read critical reviews about this novel, but I found a lot to enjoy about it.

      Delete
  5. Love your review of this book.

    I really enjoyed the way Goodwin weaved fact and fiction together in a way that was really believable as a reader. I enjoyed this book very much, although it was predictable in places.

    Poppy Coburn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poppy, and thanks!
      I agree, it was enjoyable though predictable in places... clearly Sisi and Bay didn't have a future together.

      Delete