Friday, June 19, 2015

New & upcoming historical novels by authors previously reviewed here

I always look forward to new novels by authors whose earlier books I've read and enjoyed.  For my newest gallery of upcoming titles, here are 10 historical novels set to appear over the next year, with details.



Secrets from a century ago are uncovered when a woman travels to Ireland, to go through the things her late uncle left behind in his lakeside cottage, and finds a manuscript written by a woman named Eliza Drury.  The author's previous novel, Liberty Silk, was a multi-generational novel written with both style and warmth.  Transworld Ireland, July.



After hearing Geraldine Brooks speak with the Washington Post's "totally hip book reviewer" Ron Charles at BEA, I've been eager to read her upcoming novel, focusing on the life of King David.  An ARC appeared in my mail yesterday, and I'll be reading it shortly.  I had reviewed her previous novel Caleb's Crossing for the Globe & Mail and reposted it here shortly thereafter.  Viking, October.



The two wealthy Melville sisters see their lives upended during WWI and try to establish new roots in the new, resulting world.  Clark moves ahead into the trendy early 20th-century timeframe following a visit to colonial Louisiana with Savage Lands and Victorian London with Beautiful Lies.  Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, October.



Marina Fiorato's earlier novels are set in historic Italy, and at first Kit, which opens in 18th-century Dublin, seems not to follow that pattern - but wait and see where Kit Kavanagh's adventures lead her.  Daughter of Siena, which I reviewed a few years ago, centers on the Palio horse race in the 18th century.  Hodder & Stoughton, July.



This is my most anticipated novel of the fall season.  As one would expect from Kate Morton, it's a generational mystery filled with family secrets and suspense, this time surrounding a child's disappearance in Depression-era Cornwall and the repercussions decades later.  For my earlier reviews of Morton's novels, see The Secret Keeper and The Distant Hours. Atria, October.



The market town of Chesterfield in Derbyshire may not be as high-profile as other locales Nickson's written about, like Seattle or Leeds, but I appreciate the chance to spend time in lesser-known places - especially when I've been there in real-life.  Great title for this upcoming sequel to the medieval mystery The Crooked Spire, which I read on my way home from the UK last September.  The Mystery Press, March 2016.



With her new release, Raybourn begins a new Victorian-era mystery series, this time featuring world traveler Veronica Speedwell, another of the adventurous historical heroines she's known for.  I've previously reviewed Night of a Thousand Stars, set in the Middle East in the '20s, and interviewed her about her first Victorian mystery, Silent in the Grave, way back in 2007.  NAL, September.



In the vein of her breakout novel The House at Tyneford, Solomons' latest focuses on family, music, and moving beyond grief and takes place on an English country estate in the '40s and half a century later.  Plume, December.


The grandfather of Layla Roy from Patel's debut, Teatime for the Firefly, is the protagonist of Flame Tree Road, set in 1870s India.  After seeing how his mother is shamefully treated after his father's death, Biren Roy decides to fight for a brighter future for women.  I'll be reviewing this later on in the summer.  MIRA, June.



Three star authors team up for a mystery surrounding a Gilded Age mansion, a woman from an old portrait, and an expensive heirloom.  Williams' The Secret Life of Violet Grant was reviewed here earlier, as was Willig's The Ashford Affair - and a review of Karen White's new book will be forthcoming.  NAL, January 2016.

16 comments:

  1. Ooh, ooh, excited speak! A new Geraldine Brooks historical! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are always eagerly awaited - and it's been four years since the last one! The Australian release date is also October.

      Delete
  2. I knew I should have stayed away from this post! More wonderful titles to add to my reading pile. Kate Moreton and Geraldine Brooks are the only two authors whose books I've read before. The rest of these authors are new to me, though Marina Fiorato's latest was on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read all of Marina Fiorato's novels yet, though enjoyed Daughter of Siena and Madonna of the Almonds - the latter was set in the Italian countryside during the Renaissance, which isn't something you see very often. Lovely story!

      Delete
  3. I love getting lists like these, Will look at other reviews and likely add several to my wish list, esp. novels by Morton, Raybourn, and Brooks - proven favorites. Thaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda, glad you found some interesting titles on the list.

      Delete
  4. I love lists like these as well, and like you, I've been most excited to read Morton's latest. I'm also happy to see new releases from Raybourn and Solomons and some new-to-me authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I missed reading Solomons' novel from last year, The Gallery of Vanished Husbands, but this new one seems more along the lines of Tyneford. Morton's latest will be a nice early birthday present for me - the release date is timed pretty well :)

      Delete
  5. What a great list! I'm looking forward to the new Marina Fiorato book as I enjoyed Beatrice and Benedick and The Glassblower of Murano. I'm pleased to hear Kate Morton and Natasha Solomons both have new books out soon too - I'll have to look out for both of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice and Benedick is one I've been meaning to get to. Glad to hear your positive report :)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:28 PM

      Bummer - it looks as if KIT won't be stateside until at least 2016. B&B is being published here in December.

      And I just found out that Beatriz Williams has another book out in March 2016 - A CERTAIN AGE. She writes very quickly!

      Sarah OL

      Delete
    3. Another one in March - wow! And with a new publisher, too (William Morrow). Very interesting.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the heads-up about the forth-coming sequel to "The Crooked Spire". I grabbed a copy of that after reading your review and enjoyed it, so will certainly be keen to read the next in what I hope will turn out to be a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you picked up and enjoyed the first book! I'm hoping it will be a series, too. He seems to be fitting them in among the other series he's writing. I'm also kicking myself for not visiting the spire more in person, but there's always next time, I suppose.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your list. I have ordered the Crooked Spire on Amazon and put my name down for the newest one. Kate Morton's books are wonderful. Thanks so much Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crooked Spire is a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy medievals and/or exploring old cathedrals. I learned a lot! My only problem with Kate Morton's novels is that she takes a few years to write them - but they're worth it.

      Delete