Friday, March 28, 2014

Small press spotlight: new & upcoming historical novels from international publishers

And, for my final gallery of small press titles, here are a dozen new and forthcoming titles from small presses based outside the United States.  Putting this list together was both fun and challenging, since I aimed to include a variety of countries, publisher-wise, as well as historical settings.  And for American readers, many of these titles won't be as hard to obtain as you'd think: most have US distribution either in print or on Kindle.



An epic, multicultural love story set in the Middle East in 1914, a new direction from a prolific Welsh novelist best known for her sagas.  Accent Press (UK), August 2013.



A new time-slip novel about a star-crossed 18th-century romance linked to the present day through a portrait, written by the recent winner of the Romantic Novelists' Association RoNA award in the historical category.  Choc Lit (UK), February 2014.



Biographical fiction about Sofonisba Anguissola, renowned Italian portrait painter at the court of Spain's Philip II.  Inanna Publications (Canada), November 2013.



More lively social drama set in the countryside of Regency England; this is a sequel of sorts to The Death of Lyndon Wilder, which I reviewed last year.  Corsair (UK), May 2014.



A fictional biography of an Australian woman ("musician, octagenarian, junkie") who becomes a modernist theremin player as her performing career takes her from 1920s Perth to locations around the world.  Fremantle Press (Australia), 2013.



First in a series of historical thrillers set in Singapore in 1892 which follows a police detective as he tries to solve a visiting American's murder in Chinatown.  Monsoon Books (Singapore), October 2013.



This YA novel set in the WWI years features a teenaged orphan with precognitive abilities who, after her parents' deaths on the Titanic, is sent to India, a land rife with unrest and conspiracies.  Thistledown Press (Canada), March 2014.



Downton Abbey meets The Fugitive in post-WWI Western Australia: "An English heiress has just given birth and unleashed hell. Weakened and grieving, she realises her life is in danger, and flees into the desert with her Aboriginal maid. One of them is running from a murderer; the other is accused of murder."  Sounds like a wild ride.  Allen & Unwin (Australia), March 2014.


A historical novel set in 17th-century Hartford!  For some reason, historicals set in my home state of Connecticut are exceedingly rare.  Anne Yale Hopkins (a historical character) marries and hopes to settle happily into her new life only to have it turn out other than she envisioned.  Inanna Publications (Canada), November 2013.


The plight of Queen Charlotte and her daughters, beset from all sides when her husband, England's King George III, goes mad.  There are so few biographical novels about the Georgian kings and queens (aside from Jean Plaidy's, of course) that I'm eagerly awaiting this one; I'll be reviewing it later this year.  (Edited to add:  A previous version of this novel was titled God Save the King.)  Myrmidon Books (UK), June 2014.


The stories of a Welsh couple, trapped in war-torn Hong Kong in the 1940s as the Japanese overtake the city, intertwine with those of their Chinese servant and their young daughter.  Seren (Wales/UK), July 2013.


This literary work depicts the harmony between Muslims, Jews, and Christians that existed in old Cairo before the Arab-Israeli Wars, as seen through the eyes of a boy with a mixed religious background.  American University in Cairo Press (Egypt), September 2014.

10 comments:

  1. These all sound wonderful - I'm bookmarking your page right now for future reference! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool - glad you found some interesting ones!

      Delete
  2. I have Bedlam. I was rushing to add it to my wishlist when I discovered it was once titled God Save the King--which I already have. I'm hoping my version isn't TOO drastically different from the new one. Don't you hate it when that happens? You buy a novel? It's unpublished and republished with changes made? Gr. The Baghdad book caught my eye too, but it's over 800 pages. Yikes. And Cicada. It seems that's not available in the States though. :( Thanks for this list. I always find something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments on the list!

      Ack, you're right - and I knew about the earlier title of Bedlam and should have mentioned it (this week-long cold is messing with my head). I had heard it was re-edited but it didn't sound like the changes were significant. I'll go edit in the previous title info now.

      The Baghdad book I bought on Kindle since the sample was promising and it was $2.99. I'm seeing 592pp, which is plenty long...

      Cicada may show up in the US eventually. Allen & Unwin has US distribution through the Independent Publishers Group (ipgbook.com) although there can be a delay sometimes.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't even heard of Cicada! Allen & Unwin seem to be doing well with finding interesting historical fiction over the last few years! And one of these days I am going to get around to trying Christina Courtenay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll get to read Cicada first - if so, let me know how it is! I'm going to wait and see if it's for sale in the US before buying from overseas.

      I just noticed The Railwayman's Wife was from Allen & Unwin also. I got that from the UK recently.

      Christina Courtenay's time-slip The Silent Touch of Shadows was very good.

      Delete
  4. I am making a note of most of the titles (Queen of Bedlam particularly!). I doubt I will ever find most of them but one can never say never!!!! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you never know! I actually only have one of these at the moment, the first one, but they all look tempting.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:46 AM

    Really lovely list. Thanks for compiling it. Kristin Gleeson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! Great to hear from you.

      Delete