Thursday, March 27, 2008

On how to pen compelling book reviews

Like many of you, I'm sure, I read about the Seven Deadly Words of Book Reviewing from Tuesday's Paper Cuts (the NYT's book blog). Since reading all that snark puts me in a rather snarky mood, I can't resist pointing out that the phrase "startling predictability" sounds like an oxymoron. And "pen" used in the sense of "write" is a perfectly acceptable verb, and has been for about five centuries. That doesn't mean people shouldn't sometimes eschew it for a simpler word (sorry).

On the other hand, I would be happy if I never saw the word "chthonic" in a book review again. (Of course, now that you know what it means, you may want to use it in a sentence yourself. Right?)

12 comments:

  1. Oh, definitely look for a "chthonic" from me next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sinking feeling that next quarter's reviews will be replete with chthonicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reviewing a biography for next quarter--surely there ought to be some excuse to drag it in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I know what it means, I shall have to use it at every available opportunity so I'll be sure to remember it when the times comes to use it in a review. Right, here goes. Today I shall be visiting London and travelling in the chthonic Tube to meet a friend who's also an HNS member. I shall pass the word on to her in case she doesn't already know it. Oh, yes, and we plan to have lunch in the cafe in the chthonic crypt (is that an oxymoron?) of St Martin-in-the-Fields church in Trafalgar Square.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, hope you have a wonderful adventure in London below ground.

    Here's a photo of me in Bermuda doing my best impression of a chthonian being.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever read a review with the word 'chthonic' in it. I shall crawl back under my rock now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, your chthonic experience in Bermuda looks a lot more attractive than mine on the Tube! It wasn't too bad, though and we enjoyed the chthonic lunch and the Brilliant Women exhibition we saw in the National Portrait Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Sarah, I don't read the NYT book blog but obviously I should: what I miss! To pen or not to pen, that is the question. And then chthonic: never heard it before but what a great word for Scrabble - do you have that in the States? - no, it's not a game played in that chthonic space under the stairs.
    Lucy
    www.lucyannwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, we have that here. It's a great word for Scrabble and crossword puzzles, I'd imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And here I was, all this time, thinking Gin & Chthonic was a drink invented by H.P. Lovecraft.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only use lyrical when I MEAN lyrical. I mean, really - do they think we're all stupid?

    ReplyDelete