Monday, April 24, 2006

Seek and ye shall find this blog

There's a saying in the library community that only librarians like to search; everyone else likes to find.

Because I'm a librarian-type and part of my job involves teaching undergraduates how to search databases properly, it has been very interesting for me to go through my SiteMeter stats and see how people are finding this blog. Slightly less than half of the visitors come across the site via Google, Dogpile, or some other search engine, rather than by referral from other blogs (or directly).

Among the most common search terms used:

"jed rubenfeld cover image" (sorry, don't have one)
"the interpretation of murder" (title of novel by Mr. Rubenfeld; mentioned in one of the Galleys to Grab posts)
"silent in the grave" or "deanna raybourn" (about 10 of these per day; buzz is building early for this January 2007 release)
"rosalind laker books"
various other book and author titles, including some for "eve trevaskis" (perhaps there is more of a market for her books than I thought)

However, the people who searched on these terms no doubt expected something different than what they got.

"reading the past series" (a series of British nonfiction books that sounds interesting but I have nothing to do with)
"headless women" (at least five occurrences; I'm not sure I want to know)
"past life reading" (potentially intriguing, but you won't find that here)
"read last boleyn free online" (sorry, no free full text of this copyrighted work available here, or anywhere; it isn't that expensive, really)
"big heavy chains" (no clue)

In the librarian world, we call these "false drops" or "false hits." But if you came here accidentally and like what you see, please visit again soon.

9 comments:

  1. The search terms some people use are always rather "interesting"!

    Oh well - back to last-minute packing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't top the search that got someone to my site: spank stories girls belt uncle. Umm...yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big heavy chains? Maybe used in connection with the headless women? Best not think about it.

    Only peculiar search term used to reach my website for April has been "freckles Hugh."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think these stats packages are deliberately messing with our heads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Yikes, I think I was one of those who searched for "The Interpretation of Murder." The author is a Yale professor and first-time novelist, so I'm not sure he has any fans at this point (except perhaps students facing exams next week).

    Some forthcoming books you may be interested in:

    The Meaning of Night
    Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
    The Meaning of Night

    Best,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Oops, the third title was supposed to be "The Thirteenth Tale."

    ReplyDelete
  7. John - yes, perhaps a bad choice of terminology on my part. With luck I'll be able to grab a copy at BEA.

    Thanks for suggesting those additional titles. The first looks intriguing (esp. Diana Gabaldon's blurb).

    I hadn't recognized Meaning of Night by the title or author, but after some looking around, I do remember reading about it last year. I hadn't heard it wasn't being published in the US so soon, so that's good to know. With Amazon's subject headings of "modern fiction" (which will probably change), I didn't pick it up in my regular trawl for upcoming historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:32 PM

    Sarah,

    I hope it doesn't sound like boasting but the agent for "Glass Books," E. J. McCarthy, is currently reading the manuscript of my new novel. (At least, I hope he's reading it -- he asked me to send it after I queried him.)

    By the way, I'm writing from your home state. I'm in New Haven.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. John - good luck with placing your novel! I'm sort of familiar with New Haven. I've been there a few times, mostly around Yale because that's where the good bookstores are (or were, it's been a while).

    ReplyDelete